Thursday, June 30, 2016

MDBD - Nerdy Nummies Editon - Cheeseburger Cupcakes

For Father's Day, Zoey wanted to make Scott a special treat. We decided that since he was getting a new grill for Father's Day that we would make some grill related treat. There just happened to be a recipe for Cheeseburger Cupcakes in the Nerdy Nummies cookbook.

What we are making (pg. 210)

Our Ingredients
Our baking tools (we ended up using a smaller cookie cutter)
This recipe has been featured on Nerdy Nummies (click on the link to watch)

Here is Zoey's intro. We went with a boxed cake mix and a boxed brownie mix just to make things a little bit easier.

This project took some time since the cupcakes and the brownies cooked at a different temperature. We baked the brownies first and then the cupcakes. Since we were trying to get these done before Scott got home from work and I got a later start then I planned, I ended up putting the brownies in the freezer and the cupcakes in the fridge so they would cool down faster.

While those things were cooling, I got things ready for decorating. I had to dye the frosting. Half of it was dyed red, which was supposed to be tomato (ours ended up looking more like ketchup). The other half was supposed to be yellow for cheese. I thought that yellow didn't really look like cheese, so I decided to add some red to make it more orange. That ended up too orange and I couldn't come back from it. In the end it looked ok though. The biggest pain was that I couldn't find just white sprinkles anywhere, so I had to buy a container of rainbow sprinkles and sort out the white. That was such a tedious process and I ended up stopping well short of us having enough sprinkles for all the burgers. It just wasn't worth it. LOL!

Zoey helping sort sprinkles
So once everything was cool enough, we started assembling our burgers. I made the first one and then I let Zoey have the frosting bag and decorate the rest on her own. This was a challenge for this control freak mom! LOL! She did a pretty good job I think.

First I cut the top of the cupcake off using a large kitchen knife. Then I used a small round cookie cutter to make the burger patty out of the brownie. (Bonus is that we got to eat the scraps from the brownies). They were a little small for the cupcakes, so  I flattened them out a little to make them look more like a burger patty.

Then I took the orange frosting to make the cheese slice. I have no skill with a frosting bag, so this looks pretty sloppy.
 As bad as the cheese was, I totally messed up the tomato and it tuned into ketchup. LOL!
 My favorite part was the lettuce, which is actually coconut flakes that we dyed with green food coloring.
 Then I put the top on the burger and added some of the sprinkles.
Finished Product




No comments: