Friday, July 29, 2011

What Zoey is Reading Updated

I still haven't remedied the fact that we haven't bought any new books for nap time. I just can't seem to find anything that I feel looks good.

CURRENTLY READING: Alcatraz and the Scrivener's Bones

The Evil Librarians are still up to their antics and it's up to Alcatraz Smedry to put a stop to it! This second book will take Alcatraz and company on an exploration of the Library of Alexandria, which -- despite Librarian rumors -- was never destroyed. It is a mysterious place and everyone knows that it holds dark secrets. Can Alcatraz, with his talent for breaking things, break into this secret world? Or will the Evil Librarians once again prevail?

So, I wasn't a huge fan of the first Alcatraz book. I didn't hate it by any means, but I just didn't find the humor in it like Scott does. I diffidently think this second book is better. I even laughed out loud once. I am still holding off final judgement until we actually finish the book, but it looks like Brandon Sanderson is getting into his grove with the Alcatraz series and I hope they just continue to improve.


JUST FINISHED: Percy Jackson & the Olympians - The Lightning Thief

The gods of Olympus are alive in the 21st Century. They still fall in love with mortals and have children who might become great heroes, but most of these children meet horrible fates at the hands of monsters by the age of twelve. Only a few learn the truth of their identity and make it to Half Blood Hill, a Long Island summer camp dedicated to training young demigods. Such is the revelation that launches young Percy Jackson on a quest to help his real father, Poseidon, avert a war among the gods. With the help of Grover the satyr and Annabeth the daughter of Athena, Percy must journey across the United States to catch a thief who has stolen the original weapon of mass destruction - Zeus’ master bolt. Along the way, they face a host of mythological enemies determined to stop them. Most of all, Percy must come to terms with a father he has never known, and an Oracle that has warned him of betrayal by a friend.

I really wish I hadn't of watched the movie before reading the book because they are very different, and it kind of threw me off. Despite that fact, I really enjoyed reading this book and can't wait until we start book two. I am sure I will enjoy it even more since I won't have a movie version to screw things up.

No comments: