Sunday, June 22, 2014

A New Tradition?

I love coming up with family traditions and I think we may have found a new one for Father's Day. I just have to see if Scott wants it to become a tradition (cuz I have to give him some say since it's supposed to be his day. LOL!). It will also depend on whether or not it actually takes place on Father's Day each year.

This Father's Day, we started off by taking Scott's car in for an oil change. I think maybe we can leave that part out of the yearly tradition. LOL! While we were waiting for his car to get worked on, we decided to grab some breakfast. We weren't really familiar with the area, but I remembered seeing a Scrambler Marie's somewhere around there, so after a quick Google search, we made our way to the restaurant. Neither of us had ever been to a Scrambler Marie's so we weren't really sure what to expect. It was actually really good, so I could see us making it back there again.



Once we were finished with our yummy breakfast, we picked up Scott's car, dropped it back at the house, and then headed to the Columbus Convention Center for Origins Game Fair. Scott has recently gotten really into board games and we have had some pretty fun family game nights as a result, so he wanted to check Origins out.

We were a little nervous about taking Zoey, since sometimes she doesn't do so well in large groups, especially when there is a lot of stuff that is within her reach that she shouldn't be touching. However, she did really well. She held one of our hands the majority of the time and she lasted quite awhile before she started to get overwhelmed. We were really proud of how well she did.

The first thing we did when we got into the expo hall was check out the booth for Steve Jackson Games, who make one to the games we like, Munchkin. Zoey got a free Munchkin pin and I bought her a set of her own Munchkin dice that came with two cards.




After wandering through some more booths, we came across the Reaper Miniatures booth. Another one of Scott's hobbies that he has recently gotten back into is painting miniatures, and sometimes Zoey paints with him. While we were looking at things there, one of the booth attendants let us know that there was a take and paint station set up where we each got a free miniature and then were able to sit down and paint them. This was a perfect activity for Zoey because she had asked Scott to paint with her earlier that morning. This was my first time painting miniatures, and I tried to do a good job. Scott made fun of me for being so serious, but it's hard to paint those little things.


Zoey's Miniature
My Miniature
Scott's Miniature
After checking out some more booths, Zoey started to get a little bit fussy, so we took a seat at one of the tables set up where you could play a game while Scott went to check something out. At first I wouldn't let her touch anything, but I finally gave in and let her play with one of the tokens.


Scott had some more looking around he wanted to do, so Zoey and I headed out to the hallway area and she had a snack and decompressed a little bit. I also took that opportunity to get her to take a picture with the Origins mascot, which is a cute little monster guy.




 We then went back into the expo hall and found Scott, who was buying a new game, which he is trying to get me into, but I am not completely sold yet. We then headed home for the day. I think Scott was disappointed that some of the game makers he was hoping would be there weren't. However, I thought is was a pretty fun experience.

No comments: