When I first decided to become a psychologist, the picture I had in my mind was having a private practice. I came somewhat close with my first job post licensure. I worked for another private practice, where I had control of my own schedule, but I was still an employee. I also learned at this job that the lack of a consistent pay check I could depend on was why too anxiety provoking. I kind of gave up my dream of private practice at that point.
Once I moved to Columbus, I thought I had found a better solution. I joined a group practice where I didn't have to wait for insurance to pay before I was paid, so I at least could calculate what I was going to bring home each week. However, I'm still giving them 50% of what the insurance company pays.
It started to eat at me more and more, so I started running the numbers and looking into things. With the help of my loving and supportive husband, I figured out that in order to break even after rent and overhead costs that I just needed to see two clients a week at the lowest insurance reimbursement rate. Seriously, how could I not take the plunge. Of course, I still needed a security net, so I have continued my regular 30 hours a week at the group practice, but on April 6th Rasmussen Psychological Services opened for business.
I'm a little over a month into things and while I am still stressed about getting clients in the door, I have been able to break even and make a small amount of profit. Nothing to where I can even think about quitting the group practice, but enough to make me feel good about the future.

No comments:
Post a Comment