Sunday, June 16, 2013

Mommy Daughter Bake Day (MDBD) - Cherry Vanilla Cheesecake Bars

Zoey and I have been doing Mommy Daughter Baking Day for the past couple of months. Basically it's a time for Zoey and I to spend some special time together and gives me an opportunity to try out the many recipes I find on Pinterest. I then send whatever we make with Scott to his work so I am not tempted to eat them. I've decided to start blogging the recipes as a way to share and keep me blogging on a more consistent basis.

Last Sunday, we made Cherry Vanilla Cheesecake Bars. We found the recipe over at Rock Recipes

 Cherry Vanilla Cheesecake Bars
Here are all the ingredients gathered together
 1 C. Flour
1/4 C Packed Brown Sugar
1/3 C. Cold Butter
1 C Cream Cheese
3 tsp Vanilla
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
1/4 C White Sugar
1 Egg
2/3 C. Glace Cherries
(I couldn't find these cherries anywhere, so I went with some canned pitted cherries.

Cookie Base 
In a food processor pulse together until crumbly (or simply cut the butter through the flour and sugar with a pastry knife or two butter knives held between your fingers)
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup cold butter
Save a 1/2 cup of this crumble mixture to sprinkle over the top later. Press the rest of the crumble mixture into the bottom of a greased or parchment lined 9x9 inch square baking pan. 
Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes while preparing the cheesecake filling.

Food processor is all ready to go
Zoey was an expert at using the food processor
Cheesecake Filling
Beat together until smooth and fluffy
  • 1 cup cream cheese (8 oz or 250 grams by weight)
  • 3 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 large egg
It's very important to have an expert bowl spinner. LOL!
 Fold in 
  • 2/3 cup glace cherries (I drained them and patted them dry with a paper towel)

Spread the cheesecake mixture evenly onto the pre-baked cookie base and sprinkle the reserved cookie crumble over the surface; bake at 325 degrees F for 20 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan before cutting and serving. Refrigerate to store.

Don't forget to clean up the mess. LOL!
I'm not a food photographer, so this pic is from Rock Recipes

Final Ranking (1-10)
     1= Throw Directly in the Trash
     5= Not Bad, but Not Great
     10= Best Thing I've Ever Eaten

Scott- 6 (He felt it was a good cheesecake bar, but would have liked it to have more cherry flavor)
Kristin - 7 (I thought they were pretty good, but they won't be something I make often)

No comments: