Saturday, June 22, 2013

Zoey's Big Girl Bed

It's been about a month since we moved Zoey into her big girl bed and I am happy to report it has been a total success.

From what I understand, most people move their kids into a big girl bed because they start trying to climb out of their crib and it becomes a safety concern. That totally wasn't the case with Zoey. She never once tried to climb out even though I am positive that she could have done it easily given how tall she is and how much she loves to climb. Her crib was just never a place she tried to escape. She would wake up and then happily play in her crib until I went up and got her out. Another reason I hear for moving out of the crib is that the child outgrows it. I'm not really sure how that happens. Zoey is big for her age. At her two year check-up she was as tall as an average 3 year old, so who knows where she measures up now. She still had plenty of room. The last reason I've heard is because another baby is on the way. Well, that is not the case here. Scott is firm that we aren't having any more kids and I haven't worn him down yet. I decided to move her for the very simple reason that I was worried about her making the transition and I wanted to make sure she was used to sleeping in a bed before we go to Disney in October. I hugely underestimated her ability to transition. She did wonderful!!! In the month that she has been in a bed, she has gotten out of bed and come out of her room after being put down approximately five times and all of those times when we took her back upstairs she went down with no problem.

Zoey really seems to love her bed. She likes to sit on it and read or play. We will frequently find when we get her up in the morning that she has fallen asleep with a bunch of her dolls, toys, and books, so we know she gets up after we put her to bed, but we don't mind since she doesn't come out of her room and ends up in bed asleep. Sometimes she evens pulls some of her clothes out of the hamper and sleeps with them. LOL! We also hear her when she wakes up from nap and she spends some time playing in her room before opening her door and coming downstairs. The only downfall is that in the morning I can no longer slowly wake up once I hear her because as soon as she is up, she is out the door and either goes down stairs or tries to come into our room (she can't open our bedroom door). One of the first days she was in her new bed, I woke up and saw in the monitor that her bed was empty, and when I went to look for her she was in the front room playing quietly with her police station.

So thank you Grandma Ruthann for the awesome big girl bed. It is a big hit!!!!










No comments: