Sunday, July 7, 2013

MDBD - 4th of July Edition

Since it was the 4th of July this past Thursday, we had a special Mommy Daughter Bake Day and made Red, White, and Blue Sandwich Cookies which we found at Jamie Cooks It Up

Red, White, and Blue Sandwich Cookies

Our ingredients
This was a pretty simple recipe in terms of ingredients since it used boxed cake mixes. 

2 white cake mixes
2 eggs
1 C butter, melted
2 T water
1 small package blueberry jello 
(I couldn't find blueberry, so I went with Scary Berry)
1 small package raspberry jello
1/2 t red food coloring gel
1/2 t blue food coloring gel
 
Instructions
 
To make the red dough combine one of the cake mixes with 1/2 C melted butter, 1 egg, 1 T water, raspberry jello and the red food coloring. Mix until everything is well combined and you have the color you like. You can add a bit more food coloring gel if needed.
 
 Make the blue dough by following the directions above…just add the blueberry jello and blue food coloring this time.
 
Roll them into 1 1/2 inch balls and place them on a sprayed cookie sheet. Bake for about 8 minutes at 350 degrees (You might need to bake them longer. For some reason I had a difficult time with the blue ones and they didn't cook all the way through)
 
She was excited for MDBD
She's learned to to put the beaters in

Aftermath of licking the red beaters
Daddy helped mix in the food coloring
  Now the actual recipe called for frosting to go in between the two cookies, but we aren't huge fans of frosting, so I bought both cool whip and vanilla ice cream to act as the filling. We didn't end up using the ice cream because we didn't like the cookies and didn't get that far. 

Finished product with whipped cream middle
Final Ranking (1-10)
     1= Throw Directly in the Trash
     5= Not Bad, but Not Great
     10= Best Thing I've Ever Eaten
 
Scott - 1 (He literally threw it in the trash can after one bite)
Kristin -  2 (I was able to finish the one I was eating, but the rest were thrown in the trash. The jello flavoring just really didn't work)

1 comment:

Aced said...

haha- your baking stories crack me up....Scott and you are a tough audience to satisfy with food!