Saturday, July 20, 2013

MDBD - Birthday Edition

I was very excited for last weekend's MDBD because I got to make myself a birthday cake!!!! Typically, when I decide what I'm going to make for MDBD I cater it towards Scott's taste. I do this primarily because it is my nature to try to please other people, but I also know he will be the one eating most of what is made. However, this means that I end up pinning a lot of deserts that I am drawn to, but that he wouldn't really enjoy (i.e. lots of chocolate). So the opportunity to make something for my taste, without having irrational guilt, was very exciting.

So what did I decide to do for my birthday cake? Better than Thin Mints Grasshopper Poke Cake from Something Swanky Can you say yummy sounding!!!!

Better than Thin Mints Grasshopper Poke Cake

Our Ingredients

1 chocolate cake mix + water, oil, eggs as listed on the box
1 - 14.5 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 - 12.8 oz jar Hershey's Special Hot Fudge Sauce
1 - 10 oz package Keebler Fudge Mint Cookies (or Thin Mints, when in season)
1 - 16 oz container cool whip (I like lite)
1 Duncan Hines Mint flavor packet
1 cup Andes Mint chips
 
Instructions
 
Prepare and bake the cake mix in a 9x13 baking dish. Allow to cool completely.
 
Showing off our box of cake mix

This kid is becoming an expert bowl spinner

The batter meets with her approval

Use the bottom of a wooden spoon to poke holes evenly across the entire cake (about 20 holes)
Pour the can of sweetened condensed milk over the cake, trying to fill the holes 
Heat the hot fudge sauce in a small bowl in the microwave (30-40 seconds) 
Crumble half of the fudge mint cookies into the hot fudge sauce and mix
 Spread the cookie/fudge sauce over the cake
In a large bowl, whisk together the mint packet and the cool whip
 Spread the whipped topping over the fudge layer.
Crumble the remaining cookie crumbs over top of the cool whip
Sprinkle the Andes Mint chips over top (I didn't end up using full amount)
Refrigerate and chill for at least 4 hours (overnight is best) 
 
Picture from original source
 Final Ranking (1-10)
     1= Throw Directly in the Trash
     5= Not Bad, but Not Great
     10= Best Thing I've Ever Eaten
 
Scott: 8 (Surprisingly well balanced flavor. Mint not too overwhelming. Best when fresh and cookies are still crunchy)
Kristin: 8 (I agreed that it was a good balance of flavor)

1 comment:

Bev said...

It was good & different!