Tuesday, March 11, 2014

MDBD - German Chocolate Cake Cookies

It's rare that I pick a MDBD recipe that is 100% because I think I will love it. However, this recipe for German Chocolate Cake Cookies from A Dash of Sanity was exactly that. I LOVE German Chocolate Cake and German Chocolate Brownies. It's that yummy frosting that does it for me. That fact had me a little nervous because this recipe calls for homemade frosting and those never turn out when I attempt them. However, this one turned out awesome and made these cookies so amazingly good.

German Chocolate Cake Cookies
Our Ingredients
  INGREDIENTS
 
Chocolate Cookie
2 sticks butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs, beaten
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch salt

German Chocolate Frosting
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
½ cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 cup chopped pecans 
 
INSTRUCTIONS
 
Chocolate Cookie
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. 
Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mat.
Blend the butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla and eggs. 
In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. 
Gradually add the flour mixture into the butter mixture and blend until combined.
Drop the dough by tablespoonful onto the prepared baking sheets
Bake 8 to 10 minutes. 
Cool on a baking rack.

German Chocolate Frosting
Add evaporated milk, sugar, egg yolks, butter and vanilla to a large pan. 
Place on stovetop over medium heat.
Stir so that it becomes well combined.
 Continue stirring until thickened, this takes approximately 11-12 minutes. 
Once thickened remove from heat and add coconut and pecans. 
Beat until thick enough to spread.
Spread frosting over the tops of cooled cookies. 

Cookies w/o frosting - Nothing special
Cookie w/ frosting - Freaking amazing

Source picture

No comments: