Saturday, March 22, 2014

MDBD - St. Patty's Day Edition

Since Zoey and I do MDBD on Sunday and St. Patty's Day was this past Monday, it just made sense to do some sort of green recipe for MDBD last week. I searched Pinterest and while there were lots of ideas, nothing really seemed right. So I took the easy way out and made some cookies using this recipe for Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies from the Betty Crocker web site.

Before we get into the recipe, look at the cute new apron I got for Zoey. I found it at Hobby Lobby and planned on including it in Easter, but I was too excited to wait, so I gave it to her early.


I had to include this picture because she looks so sad/scared and I have no idea why. It's cute either way




Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies


Our Ingredients
INGREDIENTS
1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker® sugar cookie mix
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon mint extract (I recommend 1/4)
6 to 8 drops green food color
1 egg
1 cup creme de menthe baking chip (Apparently you can't find these except at Christmas, so I just bought Andes mints and chopped them up)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks (We just used chips instead of chunks since I got a huge bag at Costco a few weeks ago)

INSTRUCTIONS 
Heat oven to 350°F.  
In large bowl, stir cookie mix, butter, extract, food color and egg until soft dough forms.  
Stir in creme de menthe baking chips and chocolate chunks. 
Using small cookie scoop or teaspoon, drop dough 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. 
Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set (I ended up going with 11 mins) 
Cool 3 minutes; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack
 
I personally thought the dough was pretty gross. Way too much mint (we used 1/2 tsp). It was kind of like eating toothpaste. As you can tell from the picture below, Zoey thought it was yummy, but then again, she eats toothpaste. LOL!
 
 
I am a huge fan of the mint and chocolate combination; however, I wasn't a huge fan of these cookies. They weren't terrible or anything, but they won't make my list of things I will for sure make again. 
 
Finished Product
 

No comments: