Sunday, February 6, 2011

What Zoey Is Reading

This section of the blog will be dedicated to what books Zoey is reading and will be updated as the books change.

Snuggle Up, Sleepy Ones

I have decided that at the beginning of each month I will buy Zoey a new children's book for me to read to her on Sunday nights when Scott works late and can't be home for normal story time.

This month the book is Snuggle Up, Sleepy Ones. It's about all the animals in the jungle settling down for the night. Pretty basic children's book. The artwork is really colorful and well done. I just got it for her tonight, so I haven't been able to see how she likes it yet.

Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians

A hero with an incredible talent...for breaking things. A life-or-death mission...to rescue a bag of sand. A fearsome threat from a powerful secret network...the evil Librarians. Alcatraz Smedry doesn't seem destined for anything but disaster. On his 13th birthday he receives a bag of sand, which is quickly stolen by the cult of evil Librarians plotting to take over the world. The sand will give the Librarians the edge they need to achieve world domination. Alcatraz must stop them!...by infiltrating the local library, armed with nothing but eyeglasses and a talent for klutziness.

This is the book we are currently reading. I think we have 4 of 5 chapters left. Honestly, I am not a huge fan of this book. I find it boring. Scott enjoys it and thinks it's funny. Maybe some of the humor is getting lost in his reading of it out loud. I can't really tell what Zoey thinks. She falls asleep pretty quick, so either way I guess it is doing the trick. LOL!

Knights of the Silver Dragon Book 1 - Secret of the Spirit Keeper

Zendric the wizard has been robbed and enchanted into a lifeless sleep. His spiritkeeper is missing, and only Moyra, Kellach, and Driskoll know how to find it. Deep in the Dungeons of Doom, they must outsmart a zombie, goblins, even an owlbear. But can the Knights unlock the secret of the spiritkeeper in time to save their friend?

We were lucky enough to find this book at Half Price Books, which allowed us to start the series at the beginning once Zoey was here and we started regular story time as part of her bedtime routine. Again, this was a very good book. Zoey seemed to be listening intently during story time.



Knights of the Silver Dragon Book 5 - Figure in the Frost

It’s a snow day! Kellach, Moyra, and Driskoll delight in snowball fights, snowmen contests, and best of all, no lessons. But soon the weather spells trouble for Curston. People are freezing and vicious winter wolves circle the city walls. Then a mysterious merchant arrives in a silver caravan. The stranger wants only one thing in exchange for his luxurious winter supplies . . . from Moyra. Will Moyra sacrifice her secret to save the town?

This was another one that Scott read to Zoey before she was born. This one started off a little slow for me, but I ended up really enjoying it. Zoey would do a lot of kicking during story time, so I think she liked it as well.



Knights of the Silver Dragon Book 4 - Eye of Fortune

The Knights are headed back to the Dungeons of Doom, this time in search of buried treasure. But they aren't alone. Two half-orcs and a mysterious girl want to find the fortune first. The half-orcs are hostile. And the girl hides a secret that could endanger them all.

Scott read this book to Zoey back when she was just Monkey in my tummy. This was our first introduction to the characters Moyra, Kellach, and Driskoll. I personally found the book very entertaining. Zoey wasn't in a position to give her opinion yet.

1 comment:

N. R. Williams said...

How sweet and how wonderful that you are reading to her already. You should check out the Little Pickle Press for excellent books. I have them on one of my blog rolls.

On Monday, Feb. 14, 2011, I am giving you a couple awards. Stop by then or sooner.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author